The struggle between pests and humans is a long-standing one. The infiltration and infestation of different types of pests in our homes, offices, outdoor areas, etc can create a massive cause for concern as they are swarming all over the place and carrying different diseases with them contagious infections. These can affect humans in different ways – some more serious than others. Mosquitoes can bring about illnesses like dengue, malaria, etc. Cockroaches and flies can carry around bacteria that can cause typhoid or food poisoning. Rats can chew through sacks of rice or wheat and can also enter cupboards and tear the clothes and other linens. Similarly, termites can cause damage to wood and all the wooden furniture and items in the house. It is necessary to get rid of these pests at the earliest. The question is how?
We have been talking about the use of naturally made products to be used as effective repellents. We often look for the best natural mosquito repellent India so that we leave no stone unturned in this regard. However, how much do we end up using these? Do we have the time to look for herbal products and use them in our homes? Do we trust these products that are not chemically induced to do their jobs well and get rid of the pests? Let’s find out.
Here are the basic differences between natural and chemical repellents:
- Ingredients – One of the major ways in which these two products differ is the basic components that they are made of and their ingredients. Natural ingredients are made of natural and environmental aspects like – plants, roots, leaves, flowers, barks, etc. These are not adulterated with any kind of chemical and that is what makes them environmentally friendly. They also use certain aromatic essentials like lemongrass or neem that may help freshen the air after use.
Synthetic or chemical products use several kinds of toxins and chemicals that work to kill the pests in the house. However, they also can cause a lot of damage to the skin, lungs, eyes, etc of the persons using them. You might also have to be very careful while spraying these products around pets in the house as you never know the reaction that it may have.
- Safety – For example, a herbal lizard repellent that is made out of active ingredients and oils from different plants might be considered safe to use and you will not have to wear a mask or glasses, and seal the room shut as the air would seem toxic. The natural ingredients are linked to minimum risk even for pets and children.
On the other hand, the use of toxin-induced products would first have to obtain clearance regarding their safety and effectiveness and a comparative analysis of how harmful it would be for a human to use. The primary ingredient in these products is DEET. This component is associated with serious risks to the central nervous system and also to children under the age of 12.
- Environment – Another difference between these two products would be the impact they create on the environment. Choosing green and eco-friendly products made out of plant extracts is not harmful to the environment. They can be applied liberally even in the outdoor area of the house without worrying about any damage to the flora or fauna you may have there.
However, you may have noticed a layer of toxic and hazardous chemicals often form a layer over the leaves of the plants that may then slowly wilt away and degrade. This is another major impact that is created by the constant use of these products.
Looking at the several differences between these products, there is a clear bias towards the use of natural products as they seem to be great on all fronts. They also do the job well and have the same, if not more, reported effectiveness as chemical products. But we are still skeptical and often choose to buy the other product. This could also be due to our lack of awareness of them. Since they are not very popular even in today’s times, it would be vital to gain some knowledge about the different products available in the market.
Types of repellents – Insects are of different types. Therefore, it would only make sense to have different repellents to get rid of each of these insects. Using a combination of various ingredients and after ample research, these products have been created that would be effective against their specific insect.
- Mosquito repellent – This repellent comes in different forms and you can use them on the body, in the room as a spray, etc. A highly effective form of getting rid of the little irritants, this product will also give your room a fresh smell so that you don’t have to sit or sleep in toxic air
- Ant repellent – Red ants and black ants can create a nuisance in the kitchen and the dining room particularly. When they come, they come in abundance, and sealing the holes in the walls is often not enough. Get rid of them using natural methods and avoid painful ant bites.
- Cockroach repellent – The ickiness and infections associated with cockroaches are enough to want to get rid of them at the earliest. Made out of bhutika oil, Nimba oil, and many others, use the spray in places where you see a lot of cockroaches and their eggs to get rid of them permanently.
- Lizard repellent – Lizards are unwanted guests in the house. While they may not actively cause any disease, they are still not welcome as they can, at times, be scary. Getting rid of them is now easy with the help of organic repellents. Drive the lizards out of your houses.
These repellents and many more are waiting to be purchased and used for the best results and healthy homes. Since they are natural, you do not have to worry about any side effects either.